Monday, February 8, 2010

Austin Frink Blog #4

When asked for an outright opinion, no, the user is not always right. However, since we design for the users, their latent preferences are always the ultimate determining factor in whether an app. or specific feature of an app. will be a flop or a hit. The user may say, "I would really like this feature and would use it all the time." or "I would never use that feature, not ever ever ever," and when presented with the features they had so adamantly advocated or abhored, their actions, governed by their latent tendencies, prove that they own the contrary opinion. So, the user is always right , even when they are wrong.

A treadmill is a treadmill is a treadmill. As a user, this is my honest opinion. But just the other day when I was working out in the HPER, I found myself running on the exact treadmill that Jay and I had redesigned in Project 2. Toward the end of my mile, I wanted to sprint to the end. The only way to do this was to hold my finger down on the + sign for what I felt to be an eternity to go faster. I did this while winded and bouncing up and down due to my running, which is what a treadmill is all about. Our redesign included a voice command recognition system for speed control. This is exactly what I needed.

This being said, we did not eliminate the button controls for speed control in our redesign. This is what I would eliminate. Yes, I know I am designing based on my own preferences and this is warned against, but I believe that many people would prefer this new "futuristic, I-robotish" feature not only for it's technological superiority, but also for it's practicality of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment