The user is not always correct. What the user wants, or thinks they want, may not be what they actually need. More features do not necessarily mean better features, and can often reduce the usability of the product in question. Additionally, it is impossible to design with every user in mind; the only way to remotely come close to this would be to have a 100% customizable product, which is unrealistic and would likely be difficult to use.
What I believe Hoekman is arguing is to design with the user in mind, not design exactly what the user asks. It is essential to test the product with the user, and ask their opinion about the product, but not to let them dictate the outcome of the product.
It is difficult to perform interface surgery on my redesign, as I stripped the machine to pretty basic levels as it is. However, I think the speed display could be integrated into the level display through a toggle key to eliminate a screen. Depending on the intended usage--educational or home--I also think the Fitness Test function could be eliminated. I don't see much use for a Fitness Test for a home user. Finally, the calorie/pulse window could be removed as I'm not sure how many people actually use that function, however, I think that some data would need to be collected on that particular feature since I'm just kind of guessing about that.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment